Today, June 5, just a year after one of the most significant leaks in U.S. history by Edward Snowden, SpiderOak joins Reset the Net and hundreds of thousands of others to protect our privacy and freedom from government mass surveillance.
Our CEO, Ethan Oberman, had this to say about Snowden and the campaign:
The Snowden revelations not only raised the level of awareness around privacy but also intrinsically changed the way people think about their online presence. It is wonderful that there is more awareness around this issue and even more wonderful to see the advancements that companies have made in the past year, especially around data encryption. The Reset the Net campaign will help drive the dialogue forward, leading to a future in which we are able to set new, higher standards for privacy. We are proud to support this campaign and honored to participate in the worldwide movement toward a more free and secure Internet.
Here are some ways to better protect yourself against mass surveillance…
SUPER-EASY ENCRYPTION TOOLS:
These free tools let you talk, chat, and text with privacy.
- Adium & Pidgin for private (OTR) chat over Gtalk, Facebook, Yahoo, MSN, XMPP / Duck Duck Go and others
- Textsecure and Redphone for Android and iPhone (we hope), for private SMS and voice calls
- HTTPS Everywhere for browsers
- GPGtools and Enigmail (as a bonus for more sophisticated users)
- TOR (as a bonus for sophisticated users or those with anonymity needs)
(One important note on the inclusion of Pidgin, Adium, and OTR: if you believe you may be the specific target of surveillance, these aren’t the tools for you. Pidgin has had a large number of remotely exploitable vulnerabilities recently, and auditors looking at the code believe there are likely to be many more. Still, these tools are effective against passive mass surveillance, and they’re unusually easy to use.)
THIS OFFER EXPIRED ON JULY 6, 2014.
5 FREE GBS
- If you’re already a SpiderOak user (free or paid), get your additional 5GBs by sending an email toerin[at]spideroak.com with the subject ‘Reset the Net 5GB’. You MUST include your username in the message. (I will collect usernames and apply your 5GB in July, no later than July 11).
- If you don’t have a SpiderOak account, sign up for a new SpiderOak account and enter the promo code resetthenet. You should have 5 free GBs! If you have any issues, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO GET 33% OFF
- If you’re a completely new SpiderOak user, sign up for a new SpiderOak account and after you download the client, choose ‘BUY MORE SPACE.’ Then choose ‘UPGRADE PLAN’ and select the plan you want. Enter the promo code resetthenet for your 33% off! Enjoy.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXISTING USERS:
- In the client choose ‘BUY MORE SPACE’, or in the web login, go to your Account page and select “Upgrade Plan”
- Choose YEARLY and type in promotional code resetthenet
- Finally, select “Next” and “Submit Order”
- Congrats! Enjoy your 33% off.
*If you already have a paid account, you will have to complete this payment process. However, your account will pro-rate. PayPal users will need to cancel their existing subscription and create a new one.
We need you to build privacy into your apps! It’s the only way to make privacy scale. Check out Crypton. It’s the first application framework that provides a foundation for building ‘Zero-Knowledge’ cloud products. It allows developers to provide customers a truly private storage and collaboration environment with no access to unencrypted customer data, without having to rely on 3rd party security layers or post development hacks.
Finally, we encourage you to watch this video to learn more about Reset the Net. Support the movement on social media by sharing calls for greater privacy and security under the campaign hashtag #ResetTheNet.